Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rhubarb Time



What is the best dessert in the world? Well, there is no doubt in my mind that is has to be pie.
There is, of course, a pecking order as far as pies go, with fresh fruit pies landing very close to the top of the list. Even above the fresh fruit, the wild, tangy taste of fresh rhubarb takes first place. In earlier years it was even referred to as "pie plant". My mom makes a very good "fancy pie" with a beautiful meringue topping she calls Rhubarb Custard Pie. It involves a bit of effort to make but is worth the effort. When it comes to real rhubarb flavor, you can't beat a straight rhubarb pie with a touch of lemon zest. This week with the temperature soaring into the 100s, I had to pick my rhubarb before I lost it to the heat. It is not easy to grow rhubarb in Kansas- I have been trying for years. I froze some of it but first made a fresh rhubarb pie and could hardly wait for it to cool down before sneaking a taste....Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment