Monday, May 15, 2017

LAMB'S QUARTER- IT'S A WEED! IT'S A PEST! IT'S A SUPER-VEGETABLE!


You can garden for years and still learn something new...every year! Earlier this spring, I read an article on a plant called Lamb's Quarter in Organic Living. I got so fired up over this new discovery that I promptly ordered seeds. It is a "wonder plant", similar to Kale in the rich nutrients it provides.
The tender top two inches are picked and steamed, sautéed or added to soups and have a flavor similar to its close relative, spinach. Rich in Vitamins A, C, B1 and B2; iron and protein, this nutrient dense green is worth growing in the garden. When the seeds emerged, I was horrified to discover that Lamb's Quarters is none other than a prominent weed in most American gardens! I have pulled and composted it every year I can remember. After i got over this revelation, I decided to give it a chance but definitely will NOT allow it to go to seed. 
Lambs Quarter requires no cultivation and is relatively disease and insect free. Compare this to many of our cooking greens in the mustard family such as collards and kale which require vigilant bug protection. My mustard family greens are riddled with holes from beetles and the Lamb's Quarter are showing no signs of damage from bugs nor from drought. Rethinking our current cultures agriculture and culinary paradigms, we can adapt our tastes to the relative ease and nutrition of our weeds. My mind has been opened by the garden...once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment